How to calculate axle weightsHow to calculate axle weights https://truckscience.com/wp-content/uploads/4x2-Truck-with-Service-Body.jpg 780 325 TruckScience TruckScience https://truckscience.com/wp-content/uploads/4x2-Truck-with-Service-Body.jpg
- no comments
In this short article, we explain the formulae for calculating axle weights, and take you through a simple example.
Axle Weight Distribution Formulae
To calculate distribution of weight on the front and rear axles of a truck, use these simple formulae:
Let’s take an example
- Step 1: Determine the Wheelbase
- You will find this on the vehicle specification sheet. In this example, let’s say the wheelbase of the vehicle is 208 in.
- Step 2: Determine the weight and center of gravity of the body
- Let’s say the total weight of the body is 5000 lb, and its center of gravity is 28.2 in from the rear axle.
- Therefore, we can calculate the Center of Gravity from the front axle to be 208 in – 28.2 in = 179.8 in.
- Step 3: Use the formula to calculate weight on the rear axle
- The Weight on the Rear Axle is 5000 x 179.8/208 = 4322 lb.
- Step 4: Subtract weight on rear from total weight to find weight on front
- This leaves the remaining weight of 5000 lb – 4322 lb = 678 lb on the front axle.
Principles of Weight Distribution
In this example, we have calculated the distribution of weight of a service body over 2 axles of a 4×2 rigid truck. The principles of calculating weight distribution are the same for this configuration as for calculating distribution of payload on a truck tractor with one or more trailers.
Looking for an easier way?
We have kept it simple here for purposes of demonstration. If you have a more complicated configuration, or would like to be able to use a graphical interface to calculate axle weight distribution of multiple components at once, please take 2 minutes to watch this video about our Axle Weight Calculator app, or grab a free trial here.
Not yet a user of our Axle Weight Calculator?
Watch this 2-minute video about the Axle Weight Calculator, find more detail about the Features of the program, or dive right in and try it for free below!<!- Copied from source of home page. Edit this in bottom-of-every-post plugin bottom_of_every_post.txt ->